Microstrategy how to connect to sql server
In this tutorial i will use microstrategy 10, and sql server 2008 r2, and we need to install this ODBC 11 plugin:
1) Without plugin i will try to connect to my localhost server (test database).
2) select Microsoft Sql Server
3) I want to retrieve tables.
4) BUT WHEN I WANT TO SELECT THE ODBC CONNECTION I HAVN'T ANY TO SELECT!
At this point you can even get this kind of error:
There is an error. Details
(Database error <5>: Connect failed. Error type: Odbc error. Odbc operation attempted: SQLDriverConnect. [28000:18456: on SQLHANDLE] [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'sa'. [IM006:0: on SQLHANDLE] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed
5) At the beginning you have no ODBC 11 Driver.
6) So Download the file at the beginning of this tutorial - Microsoft ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server, and install it.
7) No you can connect your Microstrategy with Sql Server 2008 r2.
8) Restart MS, and click around the combobox near the Database text.
9) Create your own connection by clicking in Add. (I will not show how to do it, because its very easy, but, remember that you should have USER with PASSWORD enabled in your loca Sql Server, in my case is "sa", "123")
10) Now go again yo MS and you can see the ODBC connection that is actualy your connection to Sql Server.
11) Configure it with user and password and then click over the data source, and it will show you the tables in the configured database.
12) Drag any table from the list yo the right corner.
13) Then click Finish and select the "Import in memory Dataset"
14) The rest is up to you, now you have your sql server connected with Microstrategy.
Hope this helps somebody, let your questions and answers below in comments.
i let here the links to the driver again: